03 September 2018

I just read an article about millennials that explains a LOT about the current state of things. Apparently, they no longer have any use for marriage, top sheets, napkins, wine with a cork, breakfast cereal, handshakes, setting the table, getting "dressed up" (for work, a date, etc,), and on it goes. I thought the current "adulting" jokes were just that -- jokes. I guess the joke was on me! It turns out that the previous generation did a pretty lousy job of preparing these young people for living independently in civilization. I'm not putting all the blame on their parents, some of it falls on their grandparents and great-grandparents. I can now see how our 1970's Hippie-dippie relaxation of the rules has swung so far from being less uptight to being totally clueless. I'm still in favor of streamlining and lessening some of the rigid ideas of the past that really never did serve a purpose, BUT. . . . Manners and civility are the backbones of what allows people to live in civilized societies. It's no wonder that violence and selfishness, impatience and so many other bad behaviors are running rampant. These kids don't have a clue. Sadly, they can't even pull themselves out of this pit because they don't have any idea of what to do instead. I recently heard that "Duchess School" is becoming "a thing". In my day, it was called "Charm School" and was used to refine the manners we learned at home. Now, the manners were never taught at home, so they are off to pay to learn basic manners and life-skills. I'm shaking my head in disbelief and sadness. We need to work on this before it's too late. I'm not just being a pathetic old lady with a longing for the good old days. The continuing of our society depends on people being able to work with and be kind to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment